A senior creative leader with two decades of experience in branding, strategic design and product development for the world's most successful global retailers, agencies and consumer products companies. Experience leading and inspiring teams as large as 65 people with P&L responsibility of $4M. Proven history of leveraging design competency to exceed business objectives, excite consumers and grow iconic brands.
Creative Direction • Design Strategy • Branding • Package Design • Strategic Planning • Retail Marketing • Brand Experience • Product Development • Business Development • Licensing • Innovation • Design & Color Trend • Consumer Insights • Team Development • Creative Culture
Founder & Principal
Verhaal Brand Design, New York City, NY • 2014- present
Verhaal Brand Design is a strategic design & brand consultancy. We specialize in brand visual ecosystem design, brand strategy, innovation, consumer insights, trends and marketing. Broad industry expertise with concentrations in fashion retail, personal branding, e-commerce and consumer packaged goods. We offer the strength, flexibility and efficiency of an extended team of award winning specialists in business strategy, naming, graphic design, photography, video, copywriting and digital marketing. We take a holistic and multidisciplinary approach to achieve brand clarity, consumer affinity and market dominance.
Vice President, Head of Design, Global Snacks
PEPSICO, New York, NY • 2013
PepsiCo, Inc. (NYSE: PEP) is the second largest food and beverage company in the world. PepsiCo’s brands are available in 200 countries; 22 of these brands each generate $1 billion or more in annual retail sales.
Responsible for the identification, creation, management, and execution of comprehensive brand design strategies that have a major impact on the innovation and growth of multi-billion dollar brands across the Global Snacks Group portfolio. PepsiCo's Frito-Lay brands include: Lay’s Potato Chips, Doritos, Cheetos, SunChips, Tostitos, Sunbites, Grainwaves and Twistos.
- Launched Doritos “For The Bold” brand activation and integrated marketing concept, including photography, POS, POP and OOH.
- Lead creative for the global brand architecture and re-design of Lay’s potato chips, the largest food brand in the world.
- Developed digital global brand book for the Cheetos brand. Unifying the appearance and usage of brand assets across geographies.
- Launched global SunChips banner brand architecture. Supported SunChips banner product innovation pipeline initiative.
- Creative team member for SuperBowl XLVIII Tostitos Party Plaza at MetLife Stadium.
- Built PepsiCo’s Global Snacks Design Team, the first internal design organization within the Global Snacks Group.
Executive Creative Director
LANDOR ASSOCIATES, Cincinnati, OH • 2011- 2013
A WPP, plc (LSE: WPP) company, Landor is a brand and creative design consultancy with 23 global offices.
Responsible for promoting creative excellence, developing design teams and nurturing creative culture. Work intimately with clients and designers overseeing all aspects of the design process to ensure that Landor’s solutions are beautiful, original, and strategically sound. Work spans brand strategy, insights driven design, brand and corporate identity, consumer packaging design, branded environments, digital branding and new business development. Staff of 25: Creative Directors, Design Directors, and Designers.
- $1.5M in revenue in 9 months by leading teams in pitching and winning new clients including Merck, Sysco Foods, Petsmart, GE Honda Aero Engines and Washington University of St. Louis.
- Oversaw global launch of the Febreze brand identity and creative. Febreze was recognized as the most financially successful P&G $1B+ brand business in 2012.
- Conceived and launched "World Currents" Landor’s quarterly global trend news mobile app.
- Shattered previous attendance records for our pro bono client The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center with the branding and marketing concepts for the "LISTEN: Music of Change" initiative.
Procter & Gamble, Kraft Foods, Merck, Sysco Foods, GE Honda Aero Engines, Petsmart, National Geographic. Pro bono: Cincinnati Museum Center, National Underground Railroad Freedom Center
Executive Creative Director
ANTHEM WORLDWIDE, San Francisco, CA • 2008-2010
A Schawk, Inc. (NYSE: SGK) company, Anthem is a brand and design consultancy with 10 global offices.
Lead the San Francisco office in partnership with the Managing Director. Oversaw creative, design strategy and brand development. Represented design in new business pitches, business engagement growth, brand development, ideation and innovation. Built and lead Design, Production and Photographic studio teams. Staff of 16: Creative Directors, Production and Photography Directors and Designers.
- Succeeded in winning 10 new on-going clients including Chevron, Petsmart and Avery in 24 months, resulting in a $1.5M revenue increase.
- Developed “Refreshe” Safeway’s cross-category beverage brand with 127 SKU’s in 6 weeks. Steve Burd, CEO called it “The most exciting and successful new brand in Safeway’s private label portfolio”.
- Designed Levi Strauss & Co.’s Dockers brand identity. Created a global product packaging system, brand color palette and signature visuals to accompany its “Wear The Pants” campaign.
- Exceeded annual revenue targets by 37%. Successfully penetrated new categories by winning clients in energy, retail, healthcare, sporting goods, fashion and technology.
- Expanded agency competencies to include, marketing collateral, trend, video, and strategic consulting.
Safeway, Chevron, Avery Dennison, Dockers at Levi’s Strauss & Co., Sports Authority, PetSmart, Cola-Cola, Microsoft, Seagate, SanDisk, Campbell’s, Diamond Foods, DelMonte, Peet’s Coffee & Tea, Warner Brothers, Johnson & Johnson, Central Garden & Pet, The Hudson Bay Company, DonSueMor. Pro bono: The Marine Mammal Center
Vice President of Graphics & Packaging
OLD NAVY, New York, NY & San Francisco, CA • 1996-2007
A GAP, Inc. (NYSE: GPS) company, Old Navy is a fashion retailer with over 1000 stores.
Oversaw Graphics, Packaging, CAD, Color and Trend across all divisions of product development for the Old Navy brand of Gap, Inc. Interpreted fashion trends as they related to market demands, parent brand and business strategy. Built strategies and initiatives for graphic product and new brand development. $4M P&L responsibility. Staff of 65: Directors, Managers, Designers and Contractors. 5 Divisional Teams: Graphic Design, Textile Design, Packaging, Production, Color & Trend.
- Graphic products drove $700M in annual revenue.
- Planned and managed a $4M/year departmental budget.
- Achieved $400k budget savings by increasing graphic design approvals by 25%.
- Oversaw the design of the Old Navy $5 Flag Tee for 10 years. With 95M units generating $475M in revenue, it continues to be the best selling t-shirt in history.
- Saved $1M/year by re-designing the color development process shortening seasonal speed-to-market by four weeks.
- Launched Old Navy’s first licensed product partnerships with Disney and Sony. Created and led cross-functional teams of designers, merchants, marketers, legal and production teams.
- Additional roles: Executive Leadership team. Executive Brand Lead of Product Lifecycle Management. Executive Sponsor for Design in Strategic IT Initiatives
Internal Clients: Mens, Boys, Womens, Girls, Baby, and Non-Apparel Product Development Divisions, Merchandising Division, Marketing, In-Store Marketing, Legal, Executive Leadership Team. External Clients: Sony, Disney, Converse, ESPN, Paramount Pictures.
EDUCATION & ASSOCIATIONS:
Harvard Business School, Design Executive Business Program
Tyler School of Art, MFA
Kansas City Art Institute, BFA
Design Management Institute, Member
Package Design Magazine, Editorial Advisory Board
Program Advisory Committee, The Art Institute of California, San Francisco, 2007-2011
AIGA, Annual Portfolio Review Committee/San Francisco, 2005-2011
SELECTED AWARDS & PUBLICATIONS:
- Brand•Muse Newsletter, 2016, author, bi-weekly branding industry journal
- Philip VanDusen, YouTube Channel, 2016, insights serving creative professionals and entrepreneurs
- "How To Use Story To Design Your Brand", 2017, Engage With Story Podcast with Ben Amos
- “Interview with Philip VanDusen”, 2016, The Entrepreneur Way Podcast with host Neil Ball
- “Understanding the Importance of Building Brand Visuals with Philip VanDusen”, 2016, Youpreneur.FM Podcast with host Chris Ducker
- “Interview with Philip VanDusen, Principal of Verhaal Brand Design”, 2016, Breaking the Plateau Podcast with host David Shriner-Cahn
- Packaging Strategies.com, "2013 Packaging Trends: An interview with Philip VanDusen"
- Packaging World Magazine, 2013, First Person column interview, “Sensory Packaging in 2013”
- P&G Presidents Award, 2012, “Febreze: Most Successful Ethnic Marketing Promotion”
- The Edge, by Allen Adamson, book cover, 2012
- Canadian Business Journal, 2012, “New Looks: Paramount Pictures”
- Canadian Business Journal, 2012, “Chuck E. Cheese Character Redesign”
- Ex Tracts® Award, Best Packaging 2010, Kalologie Skincare
- Big Book of Self Promotion, 2011, Peet’s Coffee pitch, Anthem Worldwide
- Best Financial Performance Award, Men’s Logo, Old Navy
- Packaging Digest Magazine, “Old Navy Makes Waves”, Cover
- Brand Packaging.com, article: “White as an equity color?”
I enjoy backpacking, scuba diving and making music in my recording studio. In addition, I’ve worked on an archeological dig on Crete, paved Colonel Sanders driveway, ridden out a hurricane on Gerald Fords lap, taught drawing in the South of France and canoed the entire Suwannee River, 365 miles, from the Okefenokee Swamp to the Gulf of Mexico.